Interaction with Nobel Laureates in Lindau, Germany
Call for Nominations for the 68th Lindau Nobel Laureate Meeting Dedicated to (Physiology or Medicine)
24-29 June 2018
As an Academic Partner of the Lindau Council of Nobel Laureates Germany, The OIC Standing Committee on Scientific and Technological Cooperation (COMSTECH) is seeking nominations of highly talented young scientists from the OIC Member States. The participants will be recruited among i) undergraduate students, ii) master and doctoral students, and iii) young postdoctoral scientists in the field of Physiology or Medicine and closely related disciplines.
Permanent nationals of the OIC Member States studying or working in their respective countries who fulfil the following eligibility criteria can apply for this meeting. The award includes economy class return air ticket and €5000 per selected candidate to cover the Registration Fee and Accommodation Charges for one week.
The Lindau Nobel Laureate Meetings were started under the patronage of former German President Horst Köhler and funded by the Robert Bosch Stiftung and the Bunderministerium für wirtschaftliche Zusammenarbeit. Participation in the meetings is highly prestigious and it is a unique opportunity for most promising young scientists from the OIC Member States to enhance their knowledge, establish new contacts and discuss relevant topics through interaction with 30-40 Nobel Laureates and international young scientists in lectures, panel discussions and small-size discussion session. About 600 highly-talented young scientists are expected to attend this meeting.
The Detailed information is available at www.lindau-nobel.org
Nominated participants who should meet the following selection criteria are eligible to participate in the meeting:
- Must not be older than 35 years of age or younger at the time of meeting.
- Be fluent in English and capable of active participation in discussions.
- Belong to the top 5% of their class.
- Show a genuine interest in science and research.
- Show a strong commitment to their principal field of study and to interdisciplinary work.
- Who have not participated in the previous Lindau meetings.
- Who have not yet a permanent position (scientists with permanent position – in particular on the professor level – will not be admitted to the meeting).
- Receive strong support of their application by their academic advisor and/ or by the international renowned scientists, through a detailed letter of recommendation, which greatly influence the evaluation. For those in medical clinical training, two letters of recommendation would be helpful – one from a scientists mentor and one from a medical mentor.
It is intended to have a good balance between these three groups:
- Undergraduate students, who
- exhibit a solid general knowledge in physiology or medicine
- have done some practical work and/or have laboratory experience.
- Master and doctoral students, who
- show excellent academic accomplishments and
- have produced some very good research work
- and/or are in medical clinical training
- Postdoctoral scientists, who
- have up to 5 years of postdoctoral experience (optimum about 2-3 years after doctoral degree),
- have published results of their own scientific research in peer-reviewed journals, preferably as first author, and
- have presented their work at international scientific meetings, preferably as lecturers.
- After scrutiny at COMSTECH, names of suitable candidates shall be forwarded to the Lindau Council in Germany who will make the final decision.
- In view of the strict deadlines by the Lindau, nominations received after, 15th October, 2017, will not be entertained.
Please attach the following documents with application form:
- Detailed CV
- List of Publication(s) if any
- Two Letters of Recommendation
- Some important guidelines for supervisors to prepare recommendation letter(s) introduced by the Lindau Council
- Length: roughly one DIN A4 page/ one standard letter size submitted in pdf format.
- Language: English.
- A description of the candidate’s achievements that could also cover details not found in candidate’s CV. A description of the nominating institution is not necessary.
- An Individual letter for each candidate and not a standard letter that is the same (or very similar) for all the candidates.
- The letter should be written by a person who knows the candidate well, e.g. supervisor of the Masters or PhD thesis.
Please note that the letter of recommendation is an important factor in the evaluation process and that it does influence the result.
Application form is available from
here. Complete application form along with detailed CV, and a Recommendation Letter(s) from the Supervisor or the relevant Head of Department should reach at COMSTECH by the 15th October 2017 through email: email@example.com.