Call for Nominations for the 69th Lindau Nobel Laureate Meeting Dedicated to Physics.
30 June to 05 July 2019
As an Academic Partner of the Lindau Council of Nobel Laureates, Germany, The OIC Standing Committee on Scientific and Technological Cooperation (COMSTECH) is seeking nominations of highly talented young scientists from the OIC Member States. The participants will be recruited among i) undergraduate students, ii) master and doctoral students, and iii) young postdoctoral scientists in the field of Physics and closely related disciplines.
Nationals of the OIC Member States studying or working in their respective countries who fulfil the following eligibility criteria can apply for this meeting. The award includes economy class return air ticket and €5000 per selected candidate to cover the Registration Fee and Accommodation Charges for one week.
Participation in the meetings is highly prestigious and it is a unique opportunity for most promising young scientists from the OIC Member States to enhance their knowledge, establish new contacts and discuss relevant topics through interaction with 30-40 Nobel Laureates and international young scientists in lectures, panel discussions and small-size discussion session. About 600 highly-talented young scientists will be the audience in this meeting. The Detailed information is available at www.lindau-nobel.org
Nominated participants who should meet the following selection criteria set by the Lindau Council are eligible to participate in the meeting:
- Show a genuine interest in science and research,
- Show a strong commitment to their principal field of study and to interdisciplinary work,
- Receive strong support of their application by their academic advisor and/ or by the international renowned scientists, through a detailed letter of recommendation, which greatly influences the evaluation,
- Be fluent in English and capable of active participation in discussions,
- Belong to the top ten percent of their class,
- Not yet have a permanent position (scientists with permanent position, in particular on the professor level, will not be admitted to the meeting),
- Not be older than 35 years of age or younger at the time of meeting,
- Not have participated in the previous Lindau Nobel Laureate Meetings,
- Deliver fully completed applications on or before the deadline and commit themselves to being present for the full duration of the meeting. All incomplete applications will not be considered.
It is intended to have a good balance between these three groups:
- Undergraduate students, who
- exhibit a solid general knowledge in physics and
- have done some practical work and/or have laboratory experience.
- Master and doctoral students, who
- are actively engaged in cutting edge research and
- show excellent academic accomplishments
- Postdoctoral scientists, who
- have up to 5 years of postdoctoral experience (optimum about 2-3 years after doctoral degree),
- have published results of their own scientific research in peer-reviewed journals, preferably as first author, and
- have presented their work at international scientific meetings, preferably as invited speakers.
- After scrutiny at COMSTECH, names of highly talented candidates shall be forwarded to the Lindau Council of Nobel Laureates who will make the final decision.
- In view of the strict deadlines by the LCNL, nominations received after deadline will not be entertained.
Please attach the following documents with application form:
i. Detailed CV
ii. List of Publication(s) if any
iii. Two Letters of Recommendation
iv. Some important guidelines for supervisors to prepare recommendation letter(s) introduced by the Lindau Council
- Length: roughly one DIN A4 page/ one standard letter size submitted in pdf format.
- Language: English.
- A description of the candidate’s achievements that could also cover details not found in candidate’s CV. A description of the nominating institution is not necessary.
- An Individual letter for each candidate and not a standard letter that is the same (or very similar) for all the candidates.
- The letter should be written by a person who knows the candidate well, e.g. supervisor of the Masters or PhD thesis.
Please note that the letter of recommendation is an important factor in the evaluation process and that it does influence the result.
Application form is available here.
Complete application form along with detailed CV, and Recommendation Letter(s) should reach at COMSTECH by 31st October 2018 through email: email@example.com.