COMSTECH-Fellowships for Research and Advanced Training in Virology
and Vaccine Technologies
Call for the applications 2020
As the pandemic of SARS Cov-2 (COVID-19) unfolds its devastation, and calamities, the lack of preparedness and resilience is exposed world over. Countries of the South, including many OIC countries, found themselves especially vulnerable, and totally dependent on selected countries for every health care need, be it diagnostic equipment, kits, ventilators or PPEs. Deployment of good science and robust public policy measures are required to overcome the problem of current and future pandemics.
For good science, a systematic and focused program for capacity building of young scientists is needed. COMSTECH, in collaboration of key centers of excellence in OIC countries, announce the training scholarship in the field of virology and vaccine technology. This is indeed an attempt to prepare next generation of scientists of OIC nations to meet the challenge of current and future pandemics/epidemics.
COMSTECH jointly offer fellowships to young scientists in OIC countries to enable them to spend 3 months at a relevant center of excellence in an OIC country, other than their own. The purpose of these fellowships is to enhance the research and development capacity of promising scientists, especially those at the beginning of their research career, helping them to foster linkages for further collaboration in the field of virology and vaccine technology.
Details of the call:
The call is currently open
Various higher education institutions in OIC Member states including Pakistan
Member countries of OIC
Minimum degree held
M.S./Ph.D. or equivalent
Virology/Genetic engineering/ infectious diseases
Maximum 35 years (For graduate studies), 45 years (For post-graduate studies)
Objective of this program is to provide trainings in the following themes include, but are not limited to:
- Epidemiology of viral diseases
- Biorisks assessment: identification of possible sources of viruses and prevention of new zoonotic diseases
- Development of diagnostics and therapeutics against viral outbreaks
- Dealing with viral infections: real time data collection of the spread and preparation for future outbreaks
- Vaccine development
- Other relevant aspects
Hosting Countries: Designated centers of excellence in OIC countries
Eligible Countries: All OIC member states.
Minimum qualification held: M.S./Ph.D. in Biomedical/Health Sciences
Duration: 3 months
Field: Virology/Genetic engineering/ infectious diseases
Age limit: Maximum 35 years (For graduate studies)
45 years (For post-graduate studies)
Application submission mode: Applications can only be submitted through email to COMSTECH Headquarters, Islamabad, Pakistan (firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com ) and would be jointly reviewed by an expert committee of the COMSTECH and Host institutions.
- The fellowships are for research and advanced training. They are offered to young scientists holding at least an M.S. in Biomedical/Health Sciences or equivalent degree for graduate studies, and Ph.D. in Biomedical/Health Sciences for post-graduate studies.
- Eligible applicants for the fellowships are young scientists working in any area of biomedical sciences who are citizens of an OIC country, and are employed by a research institution in an OIC country.
- There is age limit for various categories of scholarships. However, preference is given to young scientists (Particularly women scientists) at the beginning of their research career, and those working in Least Developed OIC Countries (LDC), or are from Muslim majority areas in Non- OIC states.
Fellowships are awarded by COMSTECH, along with Host Institutions Joint Fellowships Committee, based on scientific merit.
Terms of the Fellowships
- The fellowships are offered for a maximum of three months
- COMSTECH will support research and living expenditures of selected scholars, international low-cost airfare and visa fee, if any.
- The host institutions are expected to provide subsistence supervision, and mentor local trainings.
Applicants must complete the form and send it to (firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com ). Applicants also need to send the following documentation:
- Scanned copy of your passport, even if expired (page with your name and surname).
- CV, maximum five pages, including publications.
- Supporting Statement from Head of Home Institution.
- Two reference letters of senior scientists familiar with your work. Please note that the Head of your Home Institution cannot be one of your referees.
- M.S. /Ph.D. degrees and relevant university transcripts.
- The Fellowships are provided for visits by researchers from OIC countries to designated centers of excellence in other OIC countries.
- The applicants may apply for only one program per calendar year in the COMSTECH Applicants will not be eligible to visit another institution in that year under the COMSTECH programs.
Address: COMSTECH Secretariat, 33-Constitution Avenue, G-5/2, Islamabad
Phone No. : 92 51 9220681-3
Fax : 92 51 9211115, 9220265, 9205264
Email: Khazima@comstech.org ; firstname.lastname@example.org ;